One turn made

This post is dedicated to a young man I didn't know.  I never got to know him, because he died this morning.  I was there when it happened.



My Sunday mornings usually start off with me driving my little girl to swimming.

The biker and I see each other. We got to the traffic circle simultaneously, and he pulled off ahead of me. I noticed his motorbike. It looked well- ridden in, like the bike of an experienced biker. As he sped past, I thought of all the things I had to do today. My musings were interrupted by what happened next.

The car in front of the biker slowed down suddenly and then turned right. I knew what was going to happen before I actually saw and heard the impact of bike to car and then watched as biker and bike were slammed into a nearby street pole. "Jesus Christ help!", is all I got out, as I watched the young man land all mangled on a grassy patch, with his helmet still flying through the air.

I pull over on the opposite side of the road, swimming lesson forgotten, as autopilot mode takes over. Call for help. I don't actually know what to do first, I know not to move him, so as the security guard tries to turn him around,  I shout that they shouldn't move him, in case they paralyse him. An automated  voice comes on the line, "Press 1 for life threatening emergencies.  Press 2, for police assistance." I go through the motions. It's ringing.  Crap I've left my daughter in the car alone. How much has she seen? I wonder. 5 minutes have passed.

Automated voice again,  " We apologise,  we are experiencing high call volumes" I wonder if the person on the other side is finishing off their breakfast before attending to the calls. The driver is at my side. He asks me if he was at fault,  I say, " let's just worry about getting the ambulance here." He asks me if I can help the young man on the ground,  I said yes, I am trying to, I'm on hold for emergency services. Eventually I speak to a live person.

10 minutes pass...and then 5 more minutes.

I wish this ended better. Sadly it doesn't. The biker must have died before the medics arrived.  I watched them try feverishly to resuscitate him.

I remember thinking- should one of us have known first aid? Are you allowed to jump in and try to help in cases like this? It broke my heart, feeling so helpless- just waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Just one turn was made, and a family lost a loved one. A young life snuffed out in an instant.  If only he had...If only we could've... If only...he hadn't died. :-(


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts