That thief of time...procrastination

"Procrastination is like a credit card: it's a lot of fun,  until you get the bill"- C. Parker

R. Kelly once sang that he wished he could turn back the hands of time, and at the time we all sang along to it because it spoke to something within us. (Well, it did for me...even though I'm pretty sure I sang it off-key every time. Hahaha)

For so long, almost every year I have put ; 'be more proactive' or 'stop procrastinating' on my list of resolutions and yet at the end of every year, there were still things that I had started but did not see to fruition. I plan for that to be different from now on, and I've been doing it with small but significant things, this is also teaching me to start celebrating small breakthroughs.

Like I finally started those drumming lessons I've been threatening to do, and even though I'm a long way from playing a full melody that sounds like a song, I'm enjoying channeling that kid in me, who was never afraid of learning something new. (I bought ear-muffs for my drumming teacher so no need to worry for his ear-drums.)

I read a cute story that illustrates very simply the dangers of procrastination.
"When the ship, Stephen Whitney struck on an Irish cliff and clung there for a few moments, all the passengers who leaped instantly onto the rock were saved. Those who lingered were swept off by the returning waves and we're engulfed forever."

I'll always keep this in mind , because all I keep thinking of is how much I would have hated seeing people jumping to safety, while I waited to be saved by someone else. I believe that the more we leave things to chance, the less chance there is for us.

"Putting off an easy thing makes it hard, and putting off a hard one makes it impossible. "-George Lorimer

Comments

Popular Posts