'Happy' to have met you

Every morning when I drive to work, I drive along the traffic-thick Jim Fouche to get onto Beyers Naude just before I join the highway. If anyone is familiar with this route in the mornings, you may have noticed a particularly chirpy young man selling newspapers.  I first noticed him late last year, so he hasn't been there for so long.

Daily and without fail, you will see him waving at every passing car, with such honesty and earnestness, that it will just warm your heart- and this is whether you happen to buy a newspaper from him or not. I must confess my mornings don't feel complete until he's flashed me one of his megawatt smiles.

I don't know if I am just becoming particularly soft the older I get, or if I am just simply becoming more and more aware of the random acts of kindness from people around me, because it's a welcome change from all the violence, pain and despondency we see all around us.

So this morning I decided that instead of just giving him some coins, I'd speak to him to find out more about him. His name is Happy (a special name to me because that's also my Mother's name) and he comes all the way from Daveyton every morning to be on Jim Fouche before 05h30. I was shocked to hear this, so I asked him what time he had to wake up to be at 'work' on time? His answer brought a lump to my throat. He said, "Eish, sister if I tell you it will ruin your day. So let me rather not say. "

Not a lot is written about the other Happy's out there, I tried to Google more about their working conditions, how much they get from each newspaper they sell etc...but they do account for approximately 15% of all informal non-agricultural employment nationwide, so do help them out when you happen to pass one by.

If you are ever in my hood and you happen to drive past my boy, please say hi to him. I think he also gets joy from spreading his!

Comments

  1. Sweet...random acts of kindness will go a long way for you too

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world doesn't begin and end with ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful, beautiful piece to read. Thanks Salamina, @OwnMoment is inspired by people like you with genuine interests to be the change and inspiration this country needs! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts