The reasons why I travel...

Do that thing which frees your soul, feeds your curiosity and gives you peace. For me that thing is travel.

Words fail me when I try to articulate to others why I love to travel so much. I enlisted the pros through their quotable quotes to assist me, and take it from me, I think they captured it in just the way I'd have said it myself.

 

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

(- Dubai desert, December 2015.) 
After a tumultuous year in which I was struggling to juggle home life, a sick child, studying part-time and starting a new media business, this trip was like a drip administered just in time to replenish my supplies. It also happened to be our first overseas trip together as a family, and what a gift it turned out to be. I came back refreshed and with a changed outlook on all that 2015 had taught me, good and bad. 



“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru

-(Lions Head, Cape Town, 2016)

The Mother City's beauty speaks for itself. It has a beauty that never gets old no matter how often you see it. And I really try to make sure that I see it as often as I can. God bless all my friends who live in Cape Town, because it is because of them that I am afforded the pleasure of frequent visits. Every time that I am in the Mother City I am reminded that I actually spend way too little time outdoors, and that really needs to change. Adventures await!


“We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc

- (Miami with Brooke, March 2016)
For every destination there is a story. This one involves me going halfway across the world to spend time with a South African-born woman, who's been living abroad for the past 9 years. We have a mutual friend but had never actually met in person, just texted and then chatted via FaceTime. It felt a little like going across the world for a blind date. A gamble that paid off- because what transpired after just 7 days of fun, sun, many cocktails and probably way too many late nights, is an easy friendship with an incredibly giving individual, who's bubbly personality and insane stories still have me chuckling today, so many months later. 


“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

- (Durban, July 2016)

 
This Durban trip was amazing on many levels. What started off as a 'business trip' of sorts turned into that and more. Growing up my siblings and I were lucky enough to have parents who tried to take us on holiday at least once a year. So to say I have been to Durban many times in my life, is really putting it mildly. Yet on this particular occasion unlike any other time, we got to adventure with locals from Durban, and as such we saw and did things that I had never ever done before. It was a full Durban cultural experience that even ended up with us burning up the dance floor in one of Umlazi's famous tshisa nyama spots. I thought I'd read all there was to read on the 'book called Durban' but this trip proved that there is still much to be done, in a different way and most certainly with different people. Turn the page...


 
-(The 1 and Only, Dubai, New years eve 2015/2016)

 Every new experience teaches me something new about myself. 'Tis the journey, as much as the destination that I enjoy. And I love that after every adventure, I get another step closer to discovering my true self.

Bon Voyage!




Comments

  1. I love it. I'm a junkie traveler.. its refreshing and I don't come back as the same person as I learn a lot about myself. Thanx for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts