Our wedding...Their wedding!

There are a few things in this world that are funnier than the planning of  'the African wedding'. I don't know what it is about our weddings that make our parents and extended families lose their minds.

I was the first (of my generation) in our family to get married, and I think I still break out into a sweat just remembering how I did not recognise my parents at all during that process. My  usually level-headed Mom was like a wedding planner on steroids, she completely and utterly took over in planning and even sometimes in the decision making, leaving no room for hubby and I to have our say. Both of our Dads on the other hand, may as well have shouted from the rooftops that all were invited.

As a result of the parental-excitement what started out as a small wedding (my plan), soon became like a community imbizo (their plan, their wedding).  Hahahaha!

I am thinking about all of this now because we are in the throes of planning my little brothers wedding now, and oh boy! is it like deja-vu. Not only has the parent-hood already convinced him to change the wedding date, but they have also seen fit to weigh in on matters such as the Makoti's attire.

I walked this road almost 6 years ago, so I am chuckling at every step. My brother has no idea what is about to hit him...it is their wedding, best he make peace with it now...it is only the beginning!

Comments

  1. Lol...hahahah!! That's african parents for u...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boi! Would u change any of it ig u could?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's wht make our wedding memories more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope my family will not be like that when I get married, I have heard worse stories about the involvement of parents in the planning of the wedding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts