Dear Fear


Without good health we have nothing... The past 6 months have seen me have one health adventure after another. Of course my use of the word adventure in this context does not denote fun, thrills or excitement- quite the contrary. Lying in hospital for the third time earlier this year fighting a strange and almost fatal infection, I remember thinking that perhaps there really is something to be said about 'near-death experiences' and how they almost force you to change the cause of your life or at least re-adjust your priorities.

I took time off work to rest, sleep, play in the park with my daughter, travel and re-discover what it is that makes me truly happy. I also stopped saying that I will start yoga one day, and I actually signed up for classes. I even signed up at a music school because I have always wanted to learn how to play the drums, and now I am doing it. I have taken three short holidays in the space of four weeks; and I unashamedly enjoyed more spa treatments than a housewife from Sandhurst!

I have heard it said that near-death experiences make good people better and bad people worse. With that said I am determined not fall into the later category. So I am making a lot of little changes in my life now. I am more decisive, my pursuits are more robust, I care more and give more. Ideas that used to terrify me no longer have that hold on me.  

I remembered a quote I once read that goes; "We gain strength and courage and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face..."

On that note; Dear Fear; You and I met once too many times. I am walking away from you now. I am letting you go. 

Comments

  1. Salamina I adore this post! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady...get a lot of inspiration from you and your pursuits. Be blessed always

      Delete
  2. Inspiring! Most of us have become comfortable with the crippling effects of fear. I hope it doesn't have to take near death experiences for us to overcome this fear. I hope we can learn from experiences like yours and truly live purposefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you are looking into your own life and seeing what you want to change in order to live more purposefully. Blessings to you

      Delete
  3. I relate to this having just left hospital for the second time this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts