Please don't buy me plants!

So it's that time of the year again when we scratch our heads trying to think about what we are going to buy our loved ones for Christmas. It also happens to be that time of the year when I cross my thumbs in the hope that nobody will buy me a plant that I will have to look after. I really don't know what it is about me, but I just can't seem to keep plants, or flowers for that matter, alive for very long.

I remember an ex -boyfriend of mine bought me an expensive Bonsai tree for my 19th birthday. At the time I thought it was the most thoughtful gift anyone had ever bought me. That was until I realised it was a trap. He said it represented our relationship. "Oh dear", I thought to myself. I knew already that this wasn't going to end very well. Shame, he was so cute about it too. He even gave the plant a name that was a mixture of both our names. Yup, I know what you are thinking. (Bbm can't look face)

Now, if you know anything about Bonsai trees, you'll know that they require a lot of work, some skill, patience, knowledge and perhaps even a little bit of luck. Ingredients that I clearly didn't have enough of. You have to water them sparingly, trim and prune them, and remember to not leave them in direct sunlight for too long. blah, blah, blah.

I worked so hard to keep that miniature tree alive, especially considering that he asked me at every turn how it was going with our little 'baby'. Well, if that tree was a metaphor for our relationship, lets just say it didn't bode too well for the future. I had a good run with it, but sadly the poor plant died within three weeks. I can chuckle about it now, but at the time it wasn't quite as funny. When I told him, he said it showed that I wouldn't have the patience that was required to make a serious relationship work. And come to think of it, I really didn't. Oops!

Well, I'm still really bad with plants, but thank goodness I have gotten much better at relationships.

Comments

Popular Posts